18 September 2012
A regional caravan in the West African economic region departed from Senegal on the 9 September, led by StreetNet`s Senegalese affiliates CNTS Women`s Committee and SUDEMS. They will be passing through Gambia, Guinea, Cote d`Ivoire, Niger, Benin, Togo, Ghana, Mali until the 14th October. A second caravan will leave on the 10th November and they will go through Mauritania, Morocco Spain and Portugal until the 9 December 2012.
The importance of this initiative is to participate in a new style of international trade and create an awareness of Senegalese products. Their focus will be Street Vendors and Traders from the Agro industry, Fishing and farming trade and crafts and inter-acting with locals from the places visited by the caravan.
Other goals are to:
- Create awareness StreetNet in the ECOWAS region so that links can be strengthened between StreetNet affiliated street vendors from Senegal and their comrades from countries in the sub – region.
- Opportunity to meet new people and learn about their culture and way of living and vice versa,
- Signing of exchange and trade contract between CNTS/SUDEMS and street vendors in the sub – region,
- To contribute positively and serve as example of international trade,
- To bring back products from these countries which are needed by the Senegalese population.
- To mobilise, persuade and recruit the maximum of vendors for StreetNet and for the expansion of unions in visited countries
CNTS and SUDEMS encourage people to visit the Caravan as they pass through the towns. StreetNet will also be posting messages of support through their Facebook page and wishes CNTS and SUDEMS a good successful trip!