The Trade Union Confederation of Workers of the Americas (CSA), in light of the climate of violence in recent days in the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, expresses the following:
1. We condemn the spiral of violence and regret the deaths and injuries caused during demonstrations and other scenarios in which the conflict has escalated. We call the state authorities to investigate and establish the responsibility for the victims of violence, including excessive use of force and violation of human rights by police and military forces and the criminal actions of violent groups involved peaceful demonstrations.
2. We points out that peaceful protest is a democratic right that must be respected by the state and exercised responsibly by the public, but cannot be used to cause violence or justify the application of force that questions the democratic system.
3. We denounce the strategy of escalation of violent conflict, promoted by small groups, which are concealed behind legitimate claims and promote chaos, destabilization, disinformation and uncertainty in Venezuelan society, with the aim of undermining the democratic regime and its institutions. This strategy is being encouraged nationally and internationally through social networks, the major means of private communication and information networks.
4. We call on the government of President Nicolas Maduro and all state institutions to insist on the realization of an effective and constructive dialogue with the political and social actors representing the democratic opposition in order to stop the escalation of violence and build an agenda for addressing the country’s problems.
5. We salutes the position of the governments of MERCOSUR, UNASUR, ALBA, CARICOM and CELAC, which compared to the critical moment in the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, have reiterated their firm commitment to the full observance of democratic institutions, the rejection of threats to disrupt the constitutional order and expressed their solidarity with the people and government of Venezuela.