This Second International Congress of StreetNet:
1. StreetNets affiliation to the International Federation of Workers Education Associations (IFWEA)
2. StreetNets role in monitoring and evaluation of the IFWEA Southern and East Africa project on organizing workers in the informal economy;
3. StreetNets history of collaboration at country and regional level with IFWEA affiliates WEAZ (Zambia), PLADES (Peru), Workers College and Ditsela (South Africa) and relationships with LARRI (Namibia), SEWA Academy (India), LEARN (Philippines), LRS and Khanya College (South Africa)
4. the need for more capacity in workers education organizations to be able to take on facilitation of informal economy workers education activities for StreetNets affiliates.
1. To participate in the Worker Educators Forum for workers education in the informal economy which will be convened at the international conference of IFWEA in Ahmedabad, India, in December 2007, to contribute and gain some experience about perspectives on workers education in the informal economy.
2. To develop a 3-year Workers Education programme spanning 2008 to 2010.
3. To continue to develop informal economy worker education materials and make these available for wider use by informal economy workers organizations, in collaboration with IFWEA affiliates.
4. To identify and develop worker educators from among the affiliates of StreetNet International.
PROPOSED: FEDEVAL, Peru
SECONDED: CTCP-FNT, Nicaragua
There is also a portuguese version of the Blog where one can access personal updates on news and events. It can be found on this link: http://streetnetbrasil.wordpress.com/
StreetNet Newsletter 32 [pdf]
INDIA. DP is irreparable, scrap it, say activists. Times of India (10 April 2015).
TANZANIA. College plans to identify trade opportunities for hawkers. Daily News (10 April 2015) by Ludovick Kazoka.
INDIA. No street vendors, cycle rickshaws in Lajpat Nagar market: NGT. Zee News (8 April 2015) by PTI. New Delhi:
BOTSWANA. EDD is the way to go. Mmegi Online (8 April 2015).
USA. Five Courses: Hawkers' street food flair & more. Creative Loafing Tampa Bay (8 April 2015) by Meaghan Habuda.
INDIA. Hawkers may be allowed near Rishi Kapoor, Anil Ambani's Pali Hill residences. DNA India (8 April 2015) by Amrita Nayak Dutta.
ABU-DHABI. Abu Dhabi Municipality raid scares away street hawkers. Gulf News (7 April 2015).
SINGAPORE. Hawker centres to be spruced up with murals and art installations. Channel News Asia (5 April 2015) by Vimita Mohandas.
MALAYSIA. 'Development will be inclusive'. The Star Online (3 April 2015).
INDIA. 'Street vendors denied right to livelihood'. The Hindu (1 April 2015) by K.N. Umesh.
StreetNet International is an alliance of street vendors. It was launched in Durban, South Africa, in November 2002.
Membership-based organizations (unions, co-operatives or associations) directly organizing street vendors, market vendors and/or hawkers among their members, are entitled to affiliate to StreetNet International.
The aim of StreetNet is to promote the exchange of information and ideas on critical issues facing street vendors, market vendors and hawkers (i.e. mobile vendors) and on practical organizing and advocacy strategies