StreetNet International is a global organization of committed informal traders, with the goal to promote and leverage an autonomous and democratic alliance of street vendors, hawkers, and cross-border traders in 50 countries.
Strengthening and empowering the members’ organizations and their collective voice in the interests of:
- improving street vendors’ and informal economy workers’ access to their human and economic rights;
- reducing poverty and inequality, and improving the livelihoods of these workers;
- addressing key challenges and problems facing workers in the informal economy (including issues such as access to health care, childcare, safe workplaces, income security etc.);
- recognition of informal economy workers to get access to inclusive social dialogue in the countries at national and local levels;
- enhancing capacity to articulate interests and build innovative approaches to enable progress with the formalization of the informal economy as stipulated in the ILO Recommendation 204 on the Transition from the Informal to the Formal Economy.
Our aims and objectives
To unite working, voiceless, unorganized, and marginalized street and market vendors in the struggle for their socio-economic rights and justice through strengthening their voice, visibility, and legitimacy for influencing the policy directly affecting their lives.
A strong, self-reliant, democratic, and members’ driven organization of informal economy traders and street vendors capable to improve the lives of the working poor engaged in the informal economy.
StreetNet believes in participatory democracy, transparency and accountability, independence, commitment, and respect towards the implementation of the Constitution of the organization and its values.